Democrats Need to Learn from Republican Failures

Monday, March 2, 2009

Recent Democratic rhetoric may be lofty, but actions speak louder than words. I’ve posted a few articles over the last few days that demonstrate the hypocrisy and double talk of today’s democratic politician. Although these examples are not easy to find in main stream media, that does not mean that people will not hear nor remember these instances. It is dangerous for any party, to lose the respect and trust of the American voter. I you don’t believe me, just look at the Republican Party.

Here is a list of some of the promises made by the ruling democratic leaders (Obama, Pelosi, and Reid) that they are not taking seriously or actions that are hypocritical to their cause:

1. Promising fiscal responsibility while spending irresponsibly. Rasmussen shows that fiscal responsibility is the one issue most people are concerned with. We have been promised fiscal responsibility and none of Obama’s bills encourage or take into account fiscal responsibility. Perhaps, this is something we are will need to wait until his second term for?
2. Promising the end of earmarks, but allowing approximately 9,000 of them in the omnibus bill. Their claims the bill is really Bush’s bill, not Obama’s, is ridiculous. They say possession is nine tenths of the law and the bill will be in Obama’s hands if it is signed.
3. Forcing people, not politicians to except green initiatives. I posted an article today regarding congress’ plan to ease pollution restrictions on the power plant they use and their refusal to buy pollution credits to offset.
4. Promising accountability, while taking concealment to new levels. Obama promised to post all bills for 5 days before congress votes. Congress promised to allow 2 days to view the stimulus bill before voting. The American public and politicians had 12 hours.
5. Promising that the Democratic Party will be the party of Ethics. The list is long, but governors from New York, Illinois, and Arizona are all involved in major scandals. Three tax cheats were picked for Obama’s cabinet. One new senator already looking at perjury charges. This is only the beginning

I could go on, but I don’t want to write a book. Most of these have occurred in only the last month since Obama took office. Democrats should stop and take notice of this list and begin to align their rhetoric to match what they are actually perpetuating through their actions. Some suggest that the people of this country have been swayed to the left way of thought. They believe this shift will continue in the future. They couldn’t be more wrong. Conservatism by definition is an attempt to return to the principles of the founding fathers. In short, it is home to most. If people are disillusioned with where they’ve been led, they are going to look to return home.

2 comments

The Law said...

Some thoughts, my good colleague... Not really opposition this time around however lol...

Re: 1 - You would have to agree spending 700 billion + dollars on Iraq AND leaving it out of the budget is not only fiscally irresponsible, it is LBJ-esque in execution. Not to mention wasted dollars in fruitless acts like No Child Left Behind. If you give me that, then I will agree that if I were president my spending priorities would be very different. More on this in a future post in the L Comment!

Re: 2 - It is NOT a good idea to publicy announce an earmark free bill when it has earmarks. You are absolutely right... I don't care that the drafting process may or may not have began with Bush... it's Obama's bill now. The argument on the left is "spending 120 million to build a space research station in Hawaii will create jobs!" If that's the case, then WTF is an earmark?!?! I love Obama, but I seriously have to disagree with him on this one. Stillthe report I saw today indicated that there is abotu equal spending for earmarks for both parties... except that there are less republicans that are requesting the smae amount as democrats, which means its more earmark per person. Still, I will tip my hat to McCain on this one, he has been a bit more consistent on his no earmarks stance, notwithstanding a blunder here or there.

Re: 3 - maybe this is opposition. I like his moves on green energy a lot. Because if we dont take "bold and decisive action" to do something about fossil fuels, it will be another administartion making a promise to do something about this, and then eventually never get around to it. If we are seriously gonna do something abotu getting off of oil... the measures have to be especially foreceful... a guy who defends your stance on the issue was on the rachel maddow show today... his argument against cap n trade didn't hodl up well (but she is easily the brightest of the cable news commentary folk... not an easy fight!) you may be interested to catch it on her podcast

Re: 4 - i'm just glad I can see th ebills... if we coudl see the bills bush wrote... he'd probably be impeched long ago!

Re: 5 - I think both parties have equal blame... these past 8 years of laisez-faire politics have corrupted ALOT of people from both sides of the isle... it's really the makings of an awesoem governemt espionage movie lol.

as always, a pleasure to hear your take in the issues =)

March 3, 2009 at 11:54 PM

1 - I certainly have no problem agreeing with you here. Remember, the article title is about learning from Republican failures. I'm planning a post about Bush's presidency from a conservative point of view. I think many liberals have missed that Bush did not embody the principles of the movement. His ratings were low because liberals and conservatives were not impressed.

3. As I stated in a recent post, I'm a fan of finding energy independence and therefore I think we can find common ground in that I don't mind investing in Green energy. I was speaking out against an article I posted where congress thought is would be too hard to go green with energy and so they simply gave up. We are not going to get that option. I think they should not be hypocritical on the issue. I can give Obama a pass since he is not in congress ;)

4. Ok, more on Bush, but I thought Obama was new and going to change things. I'm mad about this one, because there are a few things I actually wanted Obama to follow through on his campaign promises. I may not have voted for him, but there are things I agree with and hoped would happen. One of them was actual transparency. I'm not going to argue that Bush was transparent. He wasn't! However, I was certainly hopeful that Obama would be. I'm frustrated because he let me down. He let congress down as well, because my rep did not have the opportunity to read the bill before voting on it. That's what I'm getting at here.

5. Absolutely, Republicans are as bad! Just similar disappointment for Obama and congress like in number 2. If you are going to declare your party the de facto party of ethics. You need to be serious about backing your promise. We still have a lot of politicians to vote out before we get there though.

March 5, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Post a Comment